Sunday, September 2, 2012

Poetry Study Goals

  • Be able to comfortably use poetry terms while talking
  • Learn to look beyond the obvious to find the overarching meaning behind a poem
  • Understand how different aspects of the poem can be used for the same purpose
  • Learn to untangle poetically twisted sentences to form coherent phrases more quickly
  • Be able to detect the tone of a poem accurately
  • Stop typing "peom"
 Memorization information is undoubtedly one of my weaker points, but I blame it on how some subjects are taught. If I don't use the information very often, I subconsciously deem it useless and discard the information. Using a term in normal speech is one of the best ways for me to remember what it is, allowing me to understand the questions on the test better. Aside from not knowing what a question is asking, other issues I had on the practice test involved choosing the "best" answer by finding the one with the most evidence pointing towards it. Also, though I didn't have this issue while reading this particular poem, I have often had difficulty reading older poems quickly due to the difficult sentence structures.
I have recently discovered that I have difficulty determining the tone of a passage, sort of like I have "literary autism." I might think a passage is happy when the rest of the class feels depressed after reading it; or I'll think it is angry when everyone else is saying it sounds sad.
As for the last goal...that really needs to stop.

1 comment:

  1. These are FOUR great goals. I do sort of wish your fifth goal had been added as a sixth goal and you'd come up with FIVE great goals. =) I get you, though--I had that problem for a while, too, believe it or not...and it's my JOB to type the word "poem."

    ReplyDelete