This has been the single most stressful, discouraging class of my life. Who knew that many things could go wrong in two weeks? If only Literature were like math where there are definite answers. In math, you don't add numbers because they are not given, you just label them as unknown and move on. Here in Lit, however, if something doesn't look like it is supposed to mean anything, it probably means something and you have to make your best guess based on the comma in the last sentence (ok, I'm exaggerating a little bit...).
For example, I had a completely different interpretation of Mommy's relationship with Daddy The American Dream from everyone else. Instead of Mommy emasculating Daddy, I read all of Daddy's lines as if he were bored or annoyed with Mommy. I thought he found Mommy to be ridiculously petty and he made fun of her lack of common sense. The whole thing with the "tubes instead of tracts" went way over my head. How does that imply Daddy had his manhood replaced with a lady-part? Tubes may occasionally be used as a euphemism for the ladies, but tract? I've only ever heard that used for internal organs, specifically the digestive tract. Everyone agreed about both of those points, though, so I don't know if I'm simply doing something wrong, or if people just agree with the first thing they hear. Or maybe it doesn't matter and I can have whatever interpretation I want as long as I have a good reason for it. Either way, I'm thoroughly befused and confuddled as well as frustrated.
The Death Of a Salesman was quite a relief after my bout with the Theater of the Absurd. At least something happened in the story, so I have something to work with. I'm actually ready for it this time, too, so hopefully, I'll have time to sleep at night this time around.
The vocab quiz was disconcerting. Somehow, I ended up with a lower grade than the first time around, correcting some of the errors I made last time and second-guessing myself on a whole bunch that I had right. Luckily, it appears Mrs. Holmes has made adjustments to the quiz grades, so I don't have a 60% in the grade book. I almost beat the adjusted grade my first try...what a great way to end the quarter.
I understand how you feel about analyzing things in literature! In The American Dream, I initially thought Daddy was bored as well! As the story progressed, I kind of saw that Mommy was bossy and Daddy was passive, but it wasn't until we discussed it afterwards and read the articles, that it really hit home. As for Death of a Salesman, I agree that it was much better than The American Dream, because this story actually seemed to be going somewhere! Good job on the post!
ReplyDeleteGreat work Noah! I agree that this is probably the most stressful class I have ever taken. I liked how you really put in some personal thought and I could really get how you felt from this post. Keep up the good work!
ReplyDelete