This time around, things went a whole lot more smoothly. For one, The Death of a Salesman was a lot less abstract than theater of the absurd. Nobody was stripping just for the sake of stripping, and nobody was hiding a blind dog in a box. Perhaps the most helpful thing for me was that we followed the movie in our copies of the play. When I read on my own, I have the attention span of a goldfish with ADHD. After about fifteen minutes of careful reading, I get impatient and skim through the rest, missing all the symbolism and picking up only the overarching plot. Following the movie really helped me hold a steady pace and see all the details.
We've started our first read of Hamlet. Reading it through kindle has been quite helpful to me (you can get Hamlet for free on gutenberg.org). Being able to conveniently double-click words to see definitions helps a lot. Otherwise, I'd never bother searching the dictionary and would end up making shaky guesses off of context. Besides...free is cheaper than a six dollar paperback plus shipping.
I really like how you made this post not boring. This can get really repetitive but you did a really good job of making yours unique. Your examples are extremely true and relatable. I really like how you tie in your personal experiences. Nice job!
ReplyDeleteI think we're kind of similar in the fact that after a while of reading a play, I tend to miss out on close details. I liked the way you related the coursework to your own learning style. Your tip about the kindle is definitely helpful. I surprisingly didn't think to read Hamlet on a kindle, but it sounds like it would help.
ReplyDeleteI thought your response was great, you tied in exactly what we learned in class to your personal experience with it. Maybe you could comment on some of the specific symbols or things like that we discuss in class, or flesh out the post a little more but that is my opinion. Good work!
ReplyDelete